Talen en Automaten (NWI-IPC002), exercises, 2nd quarter, Fall 2017
Information about lectures is given on a
There are weekly, compulsory homework exercises.
The homework will be published on this page on Tuesday, the day of the
lecture. It has to be handed in before the next Tuesday 8:45
hr. The graded work will be given back to you and will be
discussed at the exercise session on the Friday after that.
Exercise classes (werkcolleges) take place on Friday morning 8:45 (except for Science (10:45) and pre-master + double bachelor (15:45) students)
Here are the locations of the exercise classes (please register for
one of the groups on Blackboard):
- Exercise sessions start Friday 17/11.
- Group Alexis Linard, HG00.058, 8:45-10:30
- Group Leon Gondelmans, HG00.065, 8:45-10:30
- Group Michiel de Bondt, HG00.310, 8:45-10:30
- Group Demian Janssen, HG01.058, 8:45-10:30
- Group Tom van Bussel, HG02.028, 8:45-10:30
- Group David Venhoek, HG03.632, 8:45-10:30
- Group Ties Robroek + Bas Steeg (science), HG00.062, 10:45-12:30
- Group Jan Martens, HG00.308, 15:45-17:30
- Group Nienke Wessel, HG00.310, 15:45-17:30
Handing in your answers: put them (handwritten or typed) into the
delivery box of your exercise class teacher on the ground floor
of Mercator 1. All further details can be
read from a pdf with homework exercises, which is posted every Tuesday
on this page.
- Topic: Languages, regular languages and regular expressions.
- Topic: Deterministic finite automata (DFAs), from DFAs to regular expressions.
- Topic: Non-deterministic finite automata and equivalence with deterministic finite automata.
- Exercises: pdf - (clarification and correction Tue 28 13:00)
- Work on: 1/12
- Hand in before: 5/12, 8:45 sharp!
- Discussed on: 8/12
- Additional exercises with solutions (30/11/17
correction in answer to 1A)
- Topic: The pumping lemma and non-regular languages.
- No new topic (Halfway test on Tuesday 12/12)
- For practice exams, see the bottom of the lectures page
- No new Exercises
No Werkcollege on: 15/12
- Update 11/12: there will be an additional werkcollege on 15/12, on the pumping lemma.
There will be only one group at 8:45 (Tom van Bussel, anyone welcome to attend),
the science group as usual (10:45) and one afternoon group at 15:45 (Jan Martens).
- Discussion of assignments of week 4: 22/12
- Topic: Context Free Grammars and Regular Grammars
- Topic: Push-down automata
- Exercises: pdf
- Work on: 12/1
- Hand in before: 16/1, 8:45 sharp!
- Discussed on: 19/1
- Additional exercises with solutions
(11/01/18: small correction in answer to (a))
- Topic of last exercise class: questions & practice for the second test
- Exercises: none!
- The last exercise class is intended to practice with the material of lectures 4--6, for the test.